A management certificate is a document recorded with the county that provides information about the management of a property owners’ association (commonly known as an HOA). Section 209.004 of the Texas Property Code requires the management certificate to contain the following information:
- The name of the subdivision,
- The name of the association,
- The recording data for the subdivision,
- The recording data for the declaration and any amendments to the declaration,
- The name and mailing address of the association,
- The name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address of the person managing the association or the association's designated representative,
- The website address of any website on which the association's dedicatory instruments are available (in accordance with Section 207.006, Texas Property Code),
- The amount and description of a fee or fees charged by the association relating to a property transfer in the subdivision, and
- Other information the association considers appropriate.
HOAs that have filed a management certificate or amended management certificate with the county clerk as required by Section 209.004 on or before December 1, 2021, must electronically file their management certificate (or an amended management certificate) with TREC no later than June 1, 2022. For any management certificate or amended management certificate filed with the county clerk after December 1, 2021, HOAs will be required to file the certificate with TREC within 7 days.
Amending A Management Certificate
Section 209.004 of the Texas Property Code requires that when there is a change to any information on the management certificate, that an HOA amend the certificate, record it with the county, and file it with TREC. For example, an HOA would need to amend its management certificate if there is a change in the HOA’s name or the mailing address. Remember, any time the certificate is updated with the county, the certificate also needs to be updated using the HOA's account on this website no later than 7 days.